Whether you wear a piece of jewelry with a specific stone or have stones placed in your home or workplace, the benefits of crystals are limitless. Choosing a crystal that is right for you is the first step in engaging them in your life. Having crystals in your home and work space invites their energy into your life. Think of it like having a good friend around that you feel comfortable with - it enhances your life in a positive way. Knowing the properties of stones may be helpful but not necessary. When you go to purchase a crystal, one may catch your attention; it’s likely you are drawn to that stone for a reason and it will be a good choice for you.
Pick up the stone to see if it vibrates with you. Some people are very sensitive to the vibration of crystals however you can develop sensitivity to the vibrations the more you hold them. You may feel a pulse of energy, tingling or heat or coldness. Hold several stones until you feel the one that has the right vibration for you.
Another way to choose a crystal involves accessing answers from your subconscious mind. Using a pendulum to find the right crystals can be effective when you feel overwhelmed in making your decision. Hold the pendulum over the crystal and ask if it’s beneficial to you. Be open to what answers you receive….you may end up purchasing a different type of stone from what you expected.
After you get the stone home, it is important to cleanse or clear it. Crystals are a bit like sponges as they tend to absorb the energy of the environment. Clearing away negative energy before using them in healing or energy work is a good idea.
There are several methods for clearing and cleansing crystals:
- Place them outside or in a window where they can absorb sunlight or moonlight...leave them for a day/night.
- Bury them in the earth for three days to a week
- Place them in dry, coarse sea salt for 24 hours
- Smudge them with sage, cedar, sweetgrass or incense or mist them with essential oils.
- Place them around stones that can clear negative energy such as quartz crystal clusters, carnelian, kyanite, selenite or amethyst clusters and leave them for 24 to 48 hours